CNH Tours - Cultural and Natural Heritage Tours Galapagos
Thursday December 21, 2017
Original 1960 UN report on establishing a research station in Galapagos
Though the mission to Galapagos took place in 1957, Dr. Bowman's 65 page report was not published until 1960. His mission:
- Determine the practicality of establishing a scientific research station in the Galapagos islands,
- Locate a possible site for the research station,
- Explore with Ecuadorian authorities the possibility of setting aside one or more islands as an international wildlife reserve
- Check on the distribution and relative abundance of certain"vanishing" species; and
- Obtain adequate photographic documentation of the islands and the wildlife for publicity purposes.
The "snapshot in time" report provides a fascinating look at all the thinking and the work that led up to the decision to create the Charles Darwin Research Station and who was involved (the USA was leading a good part of that effort).
It's great reading for any amateur historian preparing a trip to the islands. The original report, written with a typewriter, is not well preserved digitally. CNH Tours has taken the initiative to have it completely transcribed, rendering it much more pleasant to read. Click here to access the report.