Small plane crashes at sea

(Versión en español mas abajo)

(The following story was kindly written by Isabel Grijalva, who accepted our offer to do so.  We met Alberto Andrade a few years ago - he's a charismatic, natural born leader.  A former fisherman, for several years now, he has been putting his boundless energy, optimism and enthusiasm to excellent use in Galapagos, encouraging residents to get engaged in conservation and community development initiatives)  


"Alberto, we're safe, they're coming to rescue us!"

These words, spoken with emotion and relief by pilot Julio Vizuete, would be etched in Alberto Andrade's mind for the rest of his life. Despite growing uncertainty as the hours passed, both men were rescued by the Ecuadorian Navy coastguard vessel "Darwin" after their small plane went down in the vast ocean surrounding the Galápagos Islands.

Alberto and Julio's odyssey began on Wednesday, April 12, at 10:00 am at the airport in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, San Cristóbal Island, the capital of the Galápagos province. United by their passion for nature and adventure, the two men embarked on an expedition that they would never forget. However, fate had other plans, and their journey unexpectedly turned into a nightmare when their small plane's engine began to fail, forcing them to perform a forced water landing miles out at sea, triggering a desperate search and rescue operation. For 22 agonizing hours, they struggled to maintain calm and hope as they faced the uncertainty of their rescue.

Julio and Alberto - at San Cristobal aiport, just before taking off on an adventure they would never forget


About the Expedition

The expedition, organized by adventurous Ecuadorian pilot and entrepreneur Julio Vizuete, aimed to document marine life in the Galápagos and Hermandad marine reserves. The plane had already made 10 previous flights, carrying scientists, fishermen, and public officials on board. On the aforementioned date, it was Alberto's turn, the leader of the civil organization "Frente Insular de la Reserva Marina de Galápagos", an NGO that had played a critical role in the creation of the Hermandad Marine Reserve – an expanded version of the original Galapagos Marine Reserve. Alberto decided to join this exciting mission as a volunteer, with the intention of seeing with his own eyes the wonders of the Marine Reserve that his collective had helped create since December 2021, without knowing that his resilience and previous experience as an artisanal fisherman would be put to the test to survive.


How did the accident happen?

The accident occurred as they returned to Puerto Baquerizo Moreno after flying over the Hermandad Reserve and the islands of Darwin and Wolf on a trip that lasted about four hours. Unexpectedly, the plane's engine began to fail. Julio immediately searched for a safe place to perform a forced water landing 50 nautical miles southwest of Isabela Island. Julio asked Alberto to find the life raft, which was in the back of the plane. As Alberto was struggling to reach behind, he suddenly Alberto felt a jolt, realizing seconds later that the plane was beginning to sink – he had to abandon the raft to escape the sinking plane.  Both he and Julio managed to get out, but they both realized it was imperative to go back for the life raft as their survival depended on it.

Shortly after the forced sea landing - thankfully the seas were very calm.   


Alberto's experience as a fisherman proved to be the salvation for both men in this situation. Thankfully the light aircraft though waterlogged, did not sink.  Alberto was able to dive and enter into the submerged cockpit to retrieve the life raft, as well as a GPS device, cell phones, food, water, and hydrating salts.

Once in the life raft, the two castaways organized their supplies and got rid of all the heavy items that could sink the plane. A floatation buoy was activated, further helping keep the plan afloat.  Finally, they devised a solution to prevent the plane from being dragged by the strong current characteristic of the southwest region of the archipelago. Lacking an anchor, they extended the plane's flaps to create resistance against the current and thus reduce the dragging speed. Thanks to this maneuver, they managed to keep the plane and their life raft near the area where their water landing occurred, thus increasing the likelihood of being rescued. Fortunately, the sea was calm, allowing them a moment of peace amidst adversity. At night, all alone in the vast ocean, they marveled at the beauty of the Milky Way during a clear, starry night.

Meanwhile, on the mainland, the Galapagos regional government activated the Emergency Operations Center committee to coordinate search and rescue efforts. The families and friends of Alberto and Julio, consumed by anguish and worry, awaited news with bated breath.

Meanwhile, back on the raft, after a beautiful ocean sunrise the next morning, the life raft accidentally collided with the edge of the plane's wing and deflated. Fortunately, the men managed to activate the emergency parachute to prevent the plane from sinking and to increase the chances of being detected from the air, thanks to the red color of the parachute. Although they were prepared to fish and collect rainwater, their situation remained desperate. But at the least expected moment, fate intervened again. On Thursday, April 13, at 11:30 a.m., after nearly a day as castaways, an Ecuadorian Navy vessel suddenly appeared on the horizon. Julio was the first to spot the ship and immediately told Alberto: "Alberto!  We're safe, they're coming to rescue us!" Both men felt indescribable relief knowing that they would not die alone, of thirst and starvation, way out at sea.

About to be rescued after nearly 24 hours at sea - the plane's pink emergency parachute was an easy beacon to spot


Once aboard the Ecuadorian Navy vessel, they received food, fresh water, and medical checkups. The Ecuadorian Navy jubilantly announced that Alberto and Julio had been found alive and in good health, thanks to the tireless efforts of the Ecuadorian rescue services. Upon arriving at Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Alberto and Julio were received as heroes by the local community, to whom they expressed gratitude for their support and expressions of affection. A day later, they arrived in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz Island. The emotional reunion of the two survivors with their wives, families, and friends was a deeply moving moment, filled with hugs and tears of happiness.

Alberto and Julio expressed their sincere gratitude to the Ecuadorian Navy for rescuing them safe and sound. The successful outcome of the search and rescue operation was a testament to the dedication and professionalism of the Ecuadorian Navy personnel and all the government institutions involved. The families also extended their gratitude to the authorities and all those who contributed to the search and rescue efforts.

This survival story in the Galápagos Sea is a reminder that with determination, ingenuity, and solidarity, even the most desperate situations can have a positive outcome. Despite facing an uncertain and dangerous situation, Alberto and Julio managed to maintain calm and hope. Moreover, they used their experience and ingenuity to survive in the ocean until they were rescued. Their struggle and determination to survive have become an anecdote that will inspire the inhabitants of the Galápagos Islands to use experience, creativity, and teamwork as key factors in overcoming adversity.

Alberto Andrade - safe and sound, back home



CNH Tours welcomes stories from Galapagos.  Please contact us if you have an idea for a good story.

Galapagos:  We are TripAdvisor's Destination Expert for Galapagos

Antarctica:  Our expert has worked for 18 seasons in the region

 Contact us for more information




Amarizaje forzoso en Galápagos: La inspiradora historia de supervivencia de Alberto Andrade y Julio Vizuete

Escrito por: Isabel Grijalva

"¡Capitán, estamos a salvo, vienen a rescatarnos!" Estas palabras, pronunciadas con emoción y alivio por el piloto Julio Vizuete, quedarán grabadas en la mente de Alberto Andrade durante el resto de su vida. A pesar de una creciente incertidumbre conforme transcurrían las horas, ambos fueron rescatados por el buque guardacostas “Darwin” de la Armada Nacional del Ecuador tras un accidente aéreo en el vasto océano de las islas Galápagos.

La odisea de Alberto y Julio comenzó el miércoles 12 de abril a las 10:00 am en el aeropuerto de Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Isla San Cristóbal, la capital de la provincia de Galápagos. Unidos por su pasión por la naturaleza y la aventura, los dos hombres se embarcaron en una expedición que cambiaría sus vidas para siempre. Sin embargo, el destino tenía otros planes, y su viaje se convirtió inesperadamente en una pesadilla cuando el motor de su avioneta comenzó a fallar, obligándolos a ejecutar un amarizaje forzoso en el inmenso océano de las islas Galápagos, desencadenando una desesperada operación de búsqueda y rescate. Durante 22 angustiosas horas, lucharon por mantener la calma y la esperanza mientras enfrentaban la incertidumbre de su rescate.


Julio y Alberto en el aeropuerto de San Cristobal - momento antes de despeguara para su viaje inolvidable

Sobre la expedición

La expedición, organizada por el intrépido piloto y empresario ecuatoriano Julio Vizuete, tenía como objetivo documentar la vida marina en las reservas marinas de Galápagos y Hermandad. La avioneta ya había realizado 10 vuelos previos, llevando a bordo científicos, pescadores y funcionarios públicos. En la fecha mencionada, llegó el turno de Alberto, líder de la organización civil “Frente Insular de la Reserva Marina de Galápagos”, institución fundamental en el proceso de creación de la Reserva Marina Hermandad. Alberto decidió unirse a esta emocionante misión como voluntario, con la intención de poder ver con sus propios ojos las maravillas de la Reserva Marina que su colectivo ayudó a crear desde diciembre del 2021, sin saber que su temple, y experiencia previa como pescador artesanal, serían puestas a prueba para sobrevivir.

¿Cómo sucedió el accidente?

El accidente ocurrió cuando regresaban a Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, después de haber sobrevolado la Reserva Hermanda y las islas de Darwin y Wolf, luego de un viaje aproximado de cuatro horas. Inesperadamente, el motor de la avioneta comenzó a fallar. Julio inmediatamente buscó un lugar seguro para realizar un amarizaje forzoso a 50 millas náuticas al suroeste de la isla Isabela. Julio solicitó a Alberto, que buscara el bote salvavidas, el cual estaba localizado en la parte trasera de la avioneta. Sin embargo, el tiempo no fue suficiente para lograrlo. Cuando menos lo esperaba, Alberto sintió un leve choque, percatándose segundos después de que la avioneta comenzaba a hundirse. Inmediatamente, Julio y Alberto salieron a la superficie. Sin embargo, se percataron que era imperativo regresar por el bote salvavidas, puesto que de ello dependía su supervivencia.

Momentos después del amaraje - suerte de que el mar estuviera tan en calma



La experiencia de Alberto como pescador resultó ser la salvación de ambos en esta situación. Alberto se sumergió y logro recuperar el bote salvavidas, así como un equipo GPS, celulares, alimentos, agua y sales hidratantes. Una vez en el bote salvavidas, organizaron sus suministros y se deshicieron de todos los elementos pesados que pudieran hundir la avioneta. Además, inflaron una boya de flotación y activaron un plan de contingencia. Por último, idearon una solución para evitar que la avioneta fuera arrastrada por la fuerte corriente que caracteriza la zona noroeste del archipiélago. Ante la carencia de un ancla, extendieron los alerones de la avioneta para crear resistencia en contra de la corriente y así disminuir la velocidad de arrastre. Gracias a esta maniobra, lograron mantener la avioneta y su bote salvavidas cerca del área donde ocurrió su amarizaje, aumentado así la probabilidad de que fueran rescatados. Afortunadamente, el mar estaba tranquilo, permitiéndoles un momento de paz en medio de la adversidad. Al llegar la noche, se maravillaron ante la belleza de la vía láctea durante una noche despejada y estrellada.

Mientras tanto, en tierra firme, el Consejo de Gobierno del Régimen Especial de la Provincia de Galápagos activó el comité del Centro de Operaciones de Emergencia para coordinar los esfuerzos de búsqueda y rescate. Las familias y amigos de Alberto y Julio, consumidas por la angustia y la preocupación, esperaban noticias con el corazón en vilo.

Al segundo día, el bote salvavidas chocó por accidente con el filo del alerón del avión y se desinfló. Afortunadamente, lograron activar el paracaídas de emergencia con la finalidad de evitar el hundimiento de la avioneta, así como para aumentar las probabilidades de que fueran detectados desde el aire, gracias al color rojo del paracaídas. Aunque estaban preparados para pescar y recolectar agua de lluvia, su situación seguía siendo de angustia. Pero en el momento menos esperado, el destino intervino nuevamente. El jueves 13 de abril, a las 11:30 a.m., después de casi un día como náufragos, el buque Diana de la Armada Ecuatoriana apareció repentinamente en el horizonte. Julio fue el primero en divisar la embarcación, e inmediatamente le dijo a Alberto: "Capitán, estamos a salvo, vienen a rescatarnos". Ambos sintieron un alivio indescriptible al saber que sus vidas no terminarían en la inmensidad del mar de Galápagos.



A punto de ser rescatado después de casi 24 horas en el mar: el paracaídas de emergencia rosa del avión era un faro fácil de detectar



Una vez a bordo del buque de la Armada del Ecuador, recibieron alimentos, agua fresca y revisiones médicas. La Armada Ecuatoriana anunció con júbilo que Alberto y Julio habían sido encontrados con vida y en buen estado de salud, gracias a los incansables esfuerzos de la Dirección Regional de Espacios Acuáticos y Guardacostas Insulares. Al arribar a Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, Alberto y Julio fueron recibidos como héroes por la comunidad local, a quienes agradecieron su apoyo y muestras de cariño. Un día después arribaron a Puerto Ayora, isla Santa Cruz. La emotiva reunión de los dos sobrevivientes con sus esposas, familias y amigos fue un momento profundamente conmovedor, lleno de abrazos y lágrimas de felicidad.

Alberto y Julio expresaron su sincera gratitud a la Armada Ecuatoriana por rescatarlos sanos y salvos. El resultado exitoso de la operación de búsqueda y rescate fue un testimonio de la dedicación y profesionalismo del personal de la Armada del Ecuador y de todas las instituciones gubernamentales involucradas. Las familias también extendieron su gratitud a las autoridades y a todos aquellos que contribuyeron a los esfuerzos de búsqueda y rescate.

Esta historia de supervivencia en el mar de Galápagos es un recordatorio de que, con determinación, ingenio y solidaridad, incluso las situaciones más desesperadas pueden tener un desenlace positivo. A pesar de enfrentarse a una situación incierta y peligrosa, Alberto y Julio lograron mantener la calma y la esperanza. Además, emplearon su experiencia e ingenio para sobrevivir en el océano hasta ser rescatados. Su lucha y determinación por sobrevivir se han convertido en una anécdota que inspirará a los habitantes de las islas Galápagos a hacer uso de la experiencia, creatividad y trabajo en equipo como factores clave para sobrevivir ante la adversidad.



Alberto Andrade - de regreso a casa, sano y salvo

Galapagos:  We are TripAdvisor's Destination Expert for Galapagos

Antarctica:  Our expert has worked for 18 seasons in the region - you can hardly get better advice in planning your trip

Okavango / Kalahari / Vic Falls: Our trip was designed and is led by the National Geographic's "Champion of the Okavango", Dr. Karen Ross

 Contact us for more information